I put the project in the back of my mind until recently when I found a lazy susan in a junk shop.
I paid my $1.00 and headed home with this beauty. Well, I hoped she would turn into a beauty with a little pampering.
The piece was stained an ugly orange color so the first thing I did was lightly sand it. I wanted the look of planks of wood so I took a pen and ruler and drew lines in the wood. The wood was soft enough that by pressing hard the pen made a groove. I then applied a coat of stain and wiped off gently leaving more color in certain areas . This was a big improvement on it's own.
The more I looked at the PB version I felt the design was a little plain for me. I found an image I liked at The Graphics Fairy and made a copy enlarging it to the size I wanted.
Using carbon paper I just traced the design. I created the additional wording in Microsoft's Word and then followed the same process. Then it is as easy as painting in the design with a black paint pen. The lazy susan was lightly distressed with sandpaper and finished with a clear coat of spray varnish. I used the same technique making the Antiquities sign shown here
Here is the finished project...
And a close up
I already had all the materials I used left over from other projects.
The total cost of my lazy susan was $1.00!
PB you know I love ya...but I like my version better and it cost $128 less than yours. Don't feel bad because you'll end up with some of the money I saved. I just ordered two lanterns from you. Of course I am known for being rather thrifty so I waited until they were 75% off.
Thanks for the inspiration Pottery Barn!
I am joining the parties at: